Who fancies this tasty chickpea and lentil dhal tonight? Cosy and perfect for a chilly autumn evening.
Chickpeas and lentils are a rich source of isoflavones - a phytoestrogen compound in legumes that can be helpful in rebalancing your hormones during the perimenopause.
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 red onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3cm fresh grated ginger
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
150g dried red lentils, soaked and rinsed
Salt and pepper
- Put the dry spices in a frying pan, and dry-fry for 1 min with a pinch of salt
- Add the oil and onion to the spices and sauté for 5 mins
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a few mins
- Pour in the coconut milk with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add the drained chickpeas and the lentils
- Cook, covered, for 20 mins
- Stir halfway through, and add an extra splash of plant milk if needed
- For the last 5 mins, stir in the spinach until it wilts
Serve with cauliflower rice.