These tasty energy bars are perfect for when you're on the go and need a little something to keep you going until your next meal. They're really easy to make and great for school lunch boxes too.
They're packed with healthy protein and fat from the nuts, seeds and nut butter so they won't spike your blood sugar. The slow-release carbs in the oats will keep you feeling fuller for longer. And the dried fruit and maple syrup will satisfy any sweet cravings. What's not to love!
Makes 16 bars
Olive oil, for greasing
100g mixed seeds
250g rolled oats
8 Medjool dates
100g dried apricots
20ml maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
4 tbsp smooth almond butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin.
- Chop the almonds, then scatter over a baking sheet with mixed seeds and oats, and roast for 20 mins, turning a few times.
- Stone and roughly chop dates and apricots.
- Place the maple syrup, almond butter, dates, coconut oil and 150ml of water in a saucepan and heat gently for 10 mins, mashing the dates with the back of a spoon to create a sticky sauce.
- Tip the oats, seeds, almonds and apricots into a bowl and pour over the sauce. Mix well so that everything is coated.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking tin, using a back of a spoon to press into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins, or until golden, then cut into portions.